As the 1910s approached, the Meralco tranvia lines to Fort Mc Kinley and to the western end of the town were built, opening transport lines for its residents and thus brought along potential investors who opened several businesses including the famous Santa Ana Cabaret at the terminus of the streetcar lines.On February 28, 1914, the Philippine Legislature passed Act 2390, shortening the name, San Pedro de Macati, to simply Makati.After his acquisition of the land, Capitan de Brito immediately took steps to "discharge the royal conscience", to fulfill, for the King of Spain, his duty to spread the Christian gospel.But he also ran into a brick wall, so to speak; the natives could not be persuaded to move inland.
As a result of the language barrier the question was misinterpreted; the Tagalog pointed to the receding tide of the Pasig River, and answered "Makati, kumákáti na" ("Ebbing, the tide is ebbing").
At the same time, Fort Mc Kinley, then renamed Fort Bonifacio, and the then Philippine Army headquarters, became the starting point for the building up of seven more communities by military families who worked in the base area.
The first office buildings were built on what is now the Makati Central Business District.
Culi-Culi is now a barangay named in honour of Del Pilar.
By 1898, Spain ceded the Philippines and other overseas possessions to the United States after the former's defeat in the Spanish–American War.